Sunday 24 February 2008

Saturday Afternoon - Evening

J.J. Sanvert
Stuarts's Comments: He started off with a nice money routine featuring silver from bill, pen through bill, bill to Babybel, and finally a bill switch that consisted of 1 £20 note, to 2 £10 notes. He then moved on to card routines. Invisible aces to royal flush, then signed card to 4 aces and Cannibal cards. Quite an interesting and informative lecture, but did spend a little too long explaining basics. 7/10.
Matt's Comments: Some interesting ideas, but does taking foil out of a thumb tip really need to last 15mins! Does this warrant such a long explanation, my answer is NO, but if yours is yes you're at the wrong convention. 5/10.
Geoff's Comments: Very Good 8.5/10.

J.C. Wagner
Stuarts Comments: He started off with Logical Progression. He then moved on to card printing routine, and then to his opening routine. For me it was a little dry and would therefore warrant a rating of 6/10.
Matt's Comments: loved his performance in the close-up session but this guy bored me to hell, ok I missed the beginning - yes I do realise that sounds familiar. Unfortunately J.C, was very dreary and although I probably would have enjoyed his routines, I could not pay attention for longer that the first 3 minutes. 4/10.

Geoff was A.W.O.L.

Dave Allen
We didn't attend his lecture as he lectured at the Sussex Magic Circle recently. So in reviewing Dave Allen I'm not a children’s entertainer and it’s far from my type of magic, however Dave's lecture is very entertaining and enjoyable. 8.5/10

Lior Manor
This lecture started with his demonstrations with his computer software, including Knights Tour and Celebrity Prediction. He then performed and explained his PK Touches routine; to me this was no different to Banachek's. 5/10.
Matt's Comments: I had already seen his lecture in Nov at the international convention. So decided to spend some cash.

Geoff was still missing! - Have you seen him?

Geoffrey Durham
Started with a dictionary book test, he then explained his magic squares routine, moved on to Hindu thread, and ended with a numbered block routine. During his lecture he described his magical thinking and the whole lecture was excellent. 9.5/10.
Matt's Comments: This is the first time I had seen GD live, I found him easy to watch and he had some good routines, although none of these seemed to suit me! And this was not this first time we had seen the Hindu thread explanation in the convention so far. A request to lecturers from me, will you please stop explaining it, because I’ve seen it at every convention so far. 7/10.

We've given up on Geoff.

UK vs. Rest Of The World Show
Here are our ratings:

Bob Wooding - UK - S8,M7,G8.5
Danny Hunt & Annette - UK - S6.5,M6,G7.5
Graham Jolley - UK - S7,M9,G9
Brian Sefton - UK - S7,M6,G10
Jon Archer - UK - S10,M8.5,G10
Martyn James - UK - S5,M6,G9
***Interval***
Fukai - Japan - S2,M1,G6
Rafael - Belgium - S10,M9.5,G10
Shawn Farquhar - Canada - S9,M8,G8
Roxanne - Germany - S7,M7,G9
Shimada - USA/Japan - S8,M8,G10
Topas - Germany - S9,M9,G9

The audience were the judge and voted for the rest of the world as the winners!

(Photo: From top to bottom: Geoffrey Durham, Danny Hunt)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may be being thick here but what does S,M & G stand for, as in S8M7G8.5?

Matt Parro said...

Sorry James this did not come out the way I had typed but it actually means S=Stuart, M=Matt, G=Geoff.

Anonymous said...

Guys agree on the ratings for the performers in the most part. Rafael's illusion on the sofa was the best thing i've ever seen live and a real highlight for me. I'll add in more comments on the rest of the blog later but pretty tired now.

Also Fukai. The first time he said "You wanta more?" and the audience replied politely with "yeah" followed by that long long long prediction effect which wasn't the best then "you wanta more?" and people shouting out ""NO kept me in stitches all day Sunday. Rating 1 from me too

I've never seen Shawn Faqhour before this convention but I'm a true convert, shame the screen was so dark though. I only wish I'd seen his lecture